Tai Chi and Kickboxing
These classes are held in the studio only.
Kickboxing – Monday and Wednesday night, 7:00 p.m.
Tai Chi – Saturday morning, 10:00 a.m.
Teacher: Reto Messmer
Registration is not required for these classes. Arrive a few minutes before the class start time.
Reto Messmer brief martial arts bio:
- Training in Judo and Boxing in the seventies
- starting in 1981 training in Kung Fu under Master Chow Kok Yeng from Chin Woo school Ipoh, Malaysia
- 1987 Training at Wushu Teachers University in Jinan, Shandong province, China
- Member of Swiss National Wushu Team
- Participating at many martial arts and kickboxing tournaments in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Austria
- Best rankings 6th at European kickboxing championship, 2nd at Swiss open Tae kwon do championships 1988
- Training in Choy Lee Fat kung fu, Win Chun Kung Fu and Muay Thai
- Teaching at South Side Spa, Taos Spa and Tennis club, UNM, his own studio in Arroyo Seco and Arroyo Seco community center since 1994
- Teaching two years at Defendu Studio, Taos, and for five years at NOLA Bjj in New Orleans
- Teaching Tai chi in Taos since 1996, having been taught by Master Chow Kok Yeng
Tai Chi is free/by donation through our nonprofit, Sala Reach. This class meets Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and is best for people ages 16 years and older.
Kickboxing is offered with a sliding scale payment option to make it possible for people to attend regularly. This class meets twice a week, Monday and Wednesday nights at 7:00 p.m. and the age group for this class is also ages 16 years and older.
These new classes (and all of our classes) are offered freely particularly for:
- Recovery Support – we sponsor individuals who wish to attend classes. All people in recovery, coping with post traumatic stress or coping with addiction in their family system are invited to join, no questions
- Veterans and family members
- Law enforcement officers and first responders
Donations are appreciated! Along with small grants, they help make these classes possible.